Fashion Shopping Online – Make it a Successful Purchase
How to Make Your Fashion Purchases Online Perfect Every time.
Shopping online can be great fun. With virtual limitless choice and great prices, sales and offers it is hard not to be drawn in to the plethora of sites available. But if you want to receive and unpack pieces that work for you it is important to think before you click.
So let’s look at some basic guidelines that will help you find that perfect bargain.
– There are many sites to help you convert sizes;
– Bras, Shoes and dress conversion sites all available on Google.
– But it is also important to be true to yourself with your size.
– Get a friend to help you make a full list if measurements and keep on hand at all times.
– Your chest should be measured with your favorite bra on.
– Your waist is where you get a crease (when you stand upright and tilt your upper body left or right).
– Your hip measurement should be taken at the widest point of your hip area.
Stand side view to a mirror to find this correct placement.
Now while you are taking your measurements also look at your body to make some notes about your bodies shape and attributes. Some basic notes a fashion stylist would look at the head down are;
– Do you have a short thick neck or a long thin neck?
– Do you have narrow sloping shoulders or a wide square shoulder line?
– Small or large bust?
– A narrow or shapeless waist?
– Small or large hips?
– Do you have shapeless thick calves?
Learn to shop to high light your good points and around your negative areas.
– Short thick necks – Avoid high necklines that will visibly cut you off ..
– V and scooped necklines will give you the length that you need.
– Long thin necks – Can be counter acted by looking for higher necklines.
– Narrow sloping shoulders- Avoid halter neck lines, this will only highlight your posture. If a maxi dress is desired look for one with straight shoulder straps, the wider strap the better. You could also match it back with a denim jacket.
– Wide square shoulders -Show off your straight posture with all the strapless and halter styles. You will have hips narrower than your bust, which means you should look for pants, shorts, skirts and dresses that have detail and designs around the hip area. A tulip skirt, gathered mini skirt with floral patterns, minis with wide band pleats are all good styles.
– Small bust – Wider straps or sleeves ruffle detail, pleated necklines, light or bright colors across the bust are all ways to create volume for the bust. As you want the top half to appear larger you need to select styles to decrease volume to the hip area.
– Large bust – Deep V necklines, avoid shoe string straps, Balance a larger bust with a bottom half that gives you more fabric. Such as a full circle skirt, a maxi dress with horizontal bands on the boarder or bootleg style jeans.
– Make sure your bra gives you lift. This is a must have item before you go shopping.
– Narrow waist – Show it off and look for fitted styles that give shape to the waist.
– Shapeless waist – A baby doll style is NOT the style for you. Many make this mistake and all it does is widen your midriff. Look for styles that are framed but not hugging your waist. This is one of the hardest things to achieve at the moment with current styles. I would consider shirts and tops with darting at the waist and in the lower back. This will give you shape. Also look at a vest or denim jacket that could be worn over your summer tops and dresses.
– Small hips – Make the hip area bigger by selecting light or bright colors, patterns ,athers, pleats, patch pockets, A line and full circle skirts.
– Large hips – Reduce the area by selecting dark colors, small patterns & intricate patterns only, pencil shape skirts. The less fabric and detail the better.
– Shapeless thick calves – Select hem lengths wisely. It is important not to let skirts, dresses or trousers sit at the widest point of your calf.
Lastly you can consider your coloring. Some of us are warm based and some are cool. Pinkish toned people are usually cool and peachy toned people are usually warm. Knowing what colors you are best in can save you a lot of fuss and bother. As you will be able to build up top and bottom halves that all match each other. So you get more mileage from your purchases. If a color analysis is not for you consider all of the universal colors that suit as all; Soft white, emerald turquoise, aqua, warm pink, earthy red, teal green, teal blue, chocolate, purple, marine navy, plum, watermelon red, stone and medium gray are colors that we can all wear safely. Otherwise considering booking a color analysis with an Image Consultant.
There are many things you should consider when selecting styles. Simple put the more in proportion you are the simpler this will be. If you have unusual features, ie – shorter legs, a long torso or a strong sharp angular face a fashion stylist that can make a report for you based on elements of design and body shape proportions. From which you would be able to confidently buy – knowing exactly what would work for you. When enquiring about a style report make sure to ask if you will receive illustrations, and if horizontal and vertical proportions are taken into consideration. A good style solution package will give you all the illustrations you need to be able to confidently buy on line and give you a 360 degree overview of your body. So all you need to do is follow the recommendations for your body shape / proportions and check them against your desired purchase.
Happy shopping ladies.